Friday, May 25, 2012

(Some of the) Test Results

AN UPDATE: The HCG-testing-machine got fixed, and I got my results: <0.5, which is what I'd hoped to see. This doesn't necessarily mean that the lumps near my lungs are not cancerous, but it's a big step in the right direction. In any case, I think there is still reason for (cautious) optimism: it's more likely than not that the lumps are not cancerous (and thus, I wouldn't need any more chemotherapy) and, even if they are cancerous, the salvage chemotherapy would be likely to work. Bad HCG levels would have made both of these propositions more doubtful.

I just wanted to post a quick update about my test results, which were a mix of the (1) good, (2) bad, and (3) indeterminate.  Here goes:

  • The good--the tumors in my abdomen are gone, and the tumors in my lungs are either reduced in size or gone. The CT scan showed no sign of disease progression and would be consistent with remission.
  • The bad--there are three small residual masses on my lungs, which may be either scar tissue or residual cancer. Provided my HCG levels are not rising (see next point), this will most likely mean major surgery to resect these remaining masses, and test them for residual cancer. If there is residual cancer, I would undergo an additional two rounds of "salvage" chemotherapy. The surgery would likely be at Carle, and would likely take place sometime in the next two weeks or so. My guess is that I would be in the hospital for around a week, depending on how things go.
  • The indeterminate--The HCG testing machine at Carle is broke, which means that I may not get these results until sometime Tuesday (because of the holiday weekend). If my levels are stable, there is a decent chance (I would guess over 60%, though its tough to find exact statistics) that the lung masses are not cancerous; if my HCG levels are rising, this would almost certainly be indicative of active cancer.

In any case, that's all I know for now. I'm doing OK, though am obviously a bit frustrated about the possibility of having to wait another four days to know anything more definite. I think Anne and I may head to the new YMCA to work out for a bit, but we should be around for most of the day. I hope everyone is doing well (and thanks so much for all the wonderful birthday cards and gifts!).

1 comment:

  1. OK, so, HURRAY for the cancer being gone in your abdomen! This waiting must be interminable. I'm always for hoping and praying for the best, so that's where I'm headed with the HCG levels, too. Can I just say, too, that you wouldn't expect it, but I liked the embroidery in your previous post. Tells it like it is. Four more days. We are all with you in this.

    -Chris

    ReplyDelete