Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Preliminary Results from Mayo

Here they are:

  1. Carle (predictably) didn't send any of the medical info I'd asked for them to send, so my new oncologist at Mayo couldn't tell me whole ton this morning. I called Carle right after my appointment, though, and they sound like they are (now) sending the scans posthaste (am I using that word correctly?).
  2. My AFP and HCG are within normal levels, at least according to Mayo's online system. I'm not sure whether they measured LDH or not; if so, I'll update this post when it registers on the online system. Given my normal HCG, it's fairly unlikely (though not impossible) that I have active cancer at this point.
  3. The oncologist seemed to think my symptoms might very well be something like a sinus infection (in which case I'd need to go to a GP, or to a different sort of specialist). Or, they might be cancer related. Without scans or blood-test results, he couldn't really say too much.
  4. The plan now is for me to have another meeting with the oncologist in two months for blood tests and scans (scans are every four months; scans are every two months). This plan might change once he sees my CT scans from May and June (e.g., if he thinks I definitely need to have surgery).
In any case, the low HCG levels are very good news. Now, I'll just need to wait and see what the oncologist  says when he sees the CT scans (which should hopefully be within the week).

Have a good Wednesday!
Brendan

No comments:

Post a Comment